Thursday, March 26, 2015

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill


When it comes to spinning a tale, Joe Hill definitely takes after his father, Stephen King, NOS4A2 is a loooong book.  I want to say it is because Joe Hill has Stephen for a father, that his writing is really unique.  But, I can't.  Only because it is not really unique, well not this novel at least.  I feel like I am reading a Stephen King novel.  The writing is mirror in humor, and affectation.  I really enjoyed the book, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did Joe's other works.  

NOS4A2 follows the formula of good versus evil.  The evil in this story is one of a child abducting Vampire like creature who uses the essence of children's innocence to live forever.  The supernatural side of the story begins when young Victoria realizes that she can transport herself from place to place using a bicycle (as a child) and a motorcycle (as an adult), and a magical "bridge."   It is not until she is an adult that she realizes that there are others out there who also have similar powers.  There is one man in particular who uses his powers for evil.  This man, Charlie Manx, drives a possessed car, and abducts children from all over the U.S.  

When Victoria is an adult she realizes that she is the only one who can help her son, who has become the latest victim of Manx and his car.  Using her own powers she takes the reader on twisting and turning rides to find and rescue her son.  

In the end everyone, of course lives happily ever after, but I found it, as a reader hard to follow at times.  My disbelief was interrupted more than once when I had to reread passages in order to try and follow the path that Hill was trying to take his readers on.  It was not always straightforward, and yet an interesting read.  If you think you can get through it, maybe give it a try. if not...it really wouldn't be a big loss if you decided to skip it.  I've read better.... ***

No comments:

Post a Comment