Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Pigman by Paul Zindel

I believe I was in grade school when I first read this novel.  The Pigman, by Paul Zindel is considered a must read for Young Adults.  I came across this in a second hand shop and could not really remember what it was about, except that I really liked it.  So, I bought it.  It was time to reacquaint myself.  It is a short read, 160 pages.  A quick and satisfying read.

As with all stories about youth, this one deals with the innocence of two children, and their self believed, harmless decisions, from their first prank they play on Mr. Pignati (The Pigman), to their last that leads to a broken heart and death. 

The choices that children make especially in their most formative years, and how they affect others, are HUGE turning points for these two protagonists, Lorraine and John.   

For a shorter story it is hard to review this book without giving away too much, but I enjoyed it and learned lots about children, choices, and empathy.  As a mother I saw into the eyes of both the girl and the boy and the difficulties they endured as young adults.  I will be handing this to my children hoping they read it so that we can discuss it together,  *****

For the first few pages excerpt from this book go to:  http://www.paulzindel.com/hisworks/synopsis/chapterexcerpt/pigman.htm

to buy: http://www.amazon.com/The-Pigman-Paul-Zindel/dp/0060757353

No comments:

Post a Comment